Members with a retirement date on or before Dec. 1, 2023
Your first retirement benefit check will be a paper check. By cashing or depositing that check, you are locking in your retirement selections. If you do not cash or deposit that first check right away, you have until the next benefit payment day to change your mind about your selection. After that time, your retirement selection will be locked in, even if you don't cash that first check. For a list of benefit payment dates, click here.
Members with a retirement date on or after Jan. 1, 2024
Your first retirement benefit payment will be by direct deposit. Instructions must be received and acknowledged by the Retirement Systems before your effective retirement date. Otherwise, a paper check will be mailed.
Benefit Pay Subs
Benefit payment pay stubs are only available in ORBIT. To access your recent pay stub and/or to see a history of your payments, follow these instructions:
- Log in to ORBIT
- Click on “View Payment History”
- Click on the >[year] you wish to view the payment history (example: >2022)
- Click on "View"
- Print a statement by choosing print from your browser window
Benefit Payment Dates
Benefit payments are typically mailed/deposited on the 25th of each month unless that day falls on a weekend or state holiday. In those situations, payments are sent the last state government business day before the 25th. For a full list of benefit payment dates, click here.
Direct deposit is required when applying for retirement online. You will be prompted to provide direct deposit information and, using Retirement Online, you will be agreeing to receive your monthly benefit payment by direct deposit. If you choose to retirement using the paper form, we ask that you complete a Form 170 to set up direct deposit.
There are several advantages to using direct deposit:
- Security. Your chances of becoming a victim of identity theft are reduced.
- Convenience. You do not have to go to your bank or financial institution because your money is deposited automatically.
- Peace of Mind. You do not have to worry about mail delays, receiving your retirement payment on time or having your check lost or stolen.
- Freedom. You know your payment will be automatically deposited to your account.
If you ever need to update your direct deposit information, log in to ORBIT and click Maintain Direct Deposit in the left navigation.